East End Seaport Museum
&
Marine Foundation

Museum Hours:

Memorial Day to June 30
Weekends

1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

June 30 through Labor Day weekend open 7 days a week
1:00 pm - 5 :00 pm

Labor Day thru Columbus Day
Weekends
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm 

November thru April by appointment only.

Admission is free
(suggested donation $2 per person / $5 per family)


Blacksmith Hours:

June - September
Saturdays & Sundays
11am to 5 pm

~~~~~~~~


East End Seaport Museum & Marine Foundation 
PO Box 624 
Greenport, NY 11944
631-477-2100
director@eastendseaport.org

Maritime History

Aside from the considerable naval aspects of the seaport’s location during the American Revolution and the Spanish American War, Greenport was a principal whaling port, with seventy-seven ship arrivals and departures between 1832 and 1857.

Greenport was also a major ship-building port. In the twenty years spanning 1830 to 1850, over 500 registered vessels were built at Greenport shipyards, and thirteen marine railways launched vessels ranging from schooners to barques.

Greenport served as a major transportation hub in the later 19th and early 20th century, with twenty side-wheel steamers creating a sea link between New York and Boston.

Long famous for its prosperous oyster and menhaden fishing industry, Greenport also contributed to the glory years of America's Cup J-boats. World War II brought a boom in ship building. Between 1941 and 1945 Greenport Basin & Construction Company - now Greenport Yacht and Shipbuilding - built and launched a fleet of more than 50 small warships: Minesweepers, Sub Chasers and Tugs.  These vessels, most in roles requiring non-magnetic construction, served in all theaters of the war, but the largest number were sent to the North Atlantic.

One, YMS 382 was sent to Norway, and, in 1945, on May 7, was torpedoed in the English Channel and lost. She was the last allied warship sunk by a U-boat in WWII.

      

Full list of ships.

 

 

 

 

Website Builder